- Master of Social Work degree from CSWE accredited University
- 2 years post-graduate experience
- Higher Education teaching experience as a field instructor or in the classroom
- Represents IUSSW and the University with students, agencies, and communities in a positive manner.
- Acts as a representative for IU School of Social Work to engage and build collaboration with educational partners.
- Works collaboratively with the student and the agency to ensure there are learning opportunities available and provides ongoing consultation for student success.
- Plans and facilitates required seminars, assessing the integration of course curriculum at practice settings and ensuring that students demonstrate mastery of core competencies.
- Works with the student(s) from the beginning through the completion of all practicum course requirements, as contracted by IUSSW.
- Tracks and monitors educational progress of the student and ensures practicum setting is meeting the curricular expectations. Informs Field Coordinator of successes or challenges.
- Identify with and professionally model the values, skills, and knowledge base of social work.
- Reports to the Field Coordinator or Administrator.
- Complete required IU and IU School of Social Work online and/or in-person trainings.
- Attend Faculty meetings as needed to maintain communication with the Department, plan for the year, review field education policies and updates, and discuss success and challenges.
- Co-facilitate required student practicum pre-orientation and/or formal orientation.
- Follow provided course Syllabus and develop Canvas course sites.
- Schedule and facilitate required seminars.
- Assign, provide instructions for and grade seminar assignments as applicable.
- Review, provide feedback, and approve Draft Learning Plan and Learning Plan forms.
- Monitor completion and content of weekly Supervision Records as applicable.
- Review Midpoint Evaluation and Final Evaluation forms to address and problem-solve areas for improvement and to calculate passing score and final course grade.
- Monitor student attendance status in the seminar and practicum setting.
- Monitor timesheets in Sonia to adhere to policy guidelines regarding number of hours completed per week and breakdown of direct/indirect practice.
- Monitor to ensure students receive a minimum of one hour of supervision weekly by assigned Field Instructor.
- Complete mid- and end-of-semester Sonia forms and timesheet audit to ensure all requirements are completed and approved.
- Schedule and attend required site visits for each student. Document site visit feedback in students’ Sonia profile utilizing the Site Visit Feedback Form.
- Monitor students’ performance within their practicum by maintaining ongoing timely communication with students and field instructors.
- Professionally and proactively respond to students and agencies in a timely manner.
- Respond to requests for or request additional student agency meetings to problem-solve and resolve issues of concern to support and advocate for students and agencies.
- Monitor quality, effectiveness, and appropriateness of each practicum placement and assist with placement changes as needed.
- Assist in identifying resources including new agency sites and External Field Instructors.
- Create, implement, and monitor performance improvement plan(s) when necessary.
- Attend Student Review Meetings to resolve significant student performance issues.
- Respond to direction and requests of Field Coordinator, Director of Field Education, and/or Program Director.
- Provide consultation to Field Instructors about the BSW/MSW curriculum and the educational planning for assessment of student mastery of core competencies.
- Submit final grade to Registrar.
- Complete additional tasks as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, And Compentencies
- A strong working knowledge of the IUSSW Field Manual and familiarity with the IUSSW Student Handbook to maintain adherence to policies and procedures.
- A strong understanding of social work values, theory, and knowledge and how to apply to a wide variety of practice settings and populations.
- An ability to communicate effectively with students and agency representatives to maintain a working relationship and support their needs.
- An ability to navigate software used to document, monitor, and audit student progress.
- Ability to learn and use the university’s learning management system and virtual meeting tools.
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility in schedule.
- An ability to professionally manage conflict using a developmental approach.
- A positive representation of IUSSW and the University with agencies and communities.
- Experience supervising volunteers and/or employees from the Strengths Perspective.