Overall Degree Requirements #
The curriculum for the BSW degree consists of a minimum of 120 credit hours attained through required and elective courses. Of these 120 credit hours, 42-45 credit hours are devoted to general/supportive liberal arts courses and 52 credit hours to social work courses (see individual campus supplements). The remaining required credits are earned through elective courses. Students are free to select elective courses, a certificate, or a minor of their choice.
Students in the BSW program must have at least a “C” in core social work courses and complete all required 100, 200, 300 level social work courses, before enrolling in the 400 level course work.
Credit for Life Experience #
Academic credit for life experience and previous work experience is not given in whole or in part toward the social work degree.
General Education Requirements #
Degree requirements are divided into four areas. General education, support courses, required courses and electives. General education course requirements vary by campus. Students are expected to meet the general education requirements specific to the campus to which they are applying.
Program Support Courses #
- Professional Writing Skills OR a writing course approved by the student’s campus
- Public Speaking
- Modern American History
- Human Biological Science
- American Government
- Introductory Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology
- A 3 credit 300 or 400 level Social Work elective, Psychology, or Sociology course
Social Work Required Courses #
- SWK-S 102 Understanding Diversity in a Pluralistic Society (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 141 Introduction to Social Work (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 221 Human Growth and Development in the Social Environment (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 251 History and Analysis of Social Welfare Policy (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 322 Small Group Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 331 Generalist Social Work Practice I: Theory and Skills (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 332 Generalist Social Work Practice II: Theory and Skills (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 352 Social Welfare Policy and Practices (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 371 Social Work Research (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 423 Organizational Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 433 Community Behavior and Practice within a Generalist Perspective (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 442 Integrated Practice-Policy Seminar in Fields of Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 472 Social Work Practice Evaluation (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 481 Social Work Practicum I (6 cr.)
- SWK-S 482 Social Work Practicum II (7 cr.)