Clinical and Community Practice with focus on Special Practice Areas in Social Work
Clinical and Community Practice #
The Clinical and Community Practice Concentration curriculum prepares students to work across the micro-to-macro continuum of social work services. Students will learn more breadth and depth in their knowledge base, including theories that underlie various types of social work practice. In addition, the curriculum serves to advance their critical thinking and foundation practice skills for entry into advanced practice courses in a variety of focus areas.
Focus on Special Practice Areas in Social Work #
Social Workers gain employment in a wide range of practice fields and work with diverse client systems. Their work requires multi-dimensional, contextually sensitive, evidence-informed applications which are performed through a variety of social work roles. Special Practice Areas in Social Work provide students an opportunity to explore and develop expertise with practice issues that intersect with populations and agencies.
The MSW curriculum includes three distinct levels #
The MSW curriculum includes three distinct levels through which students progress toward the advanced degree in social work.
Focus Area: Special Practice Areas in Social Work
Foundation Courses #
All courses are required for regular standing students.
- SWK-S 506 Introduction to the SW Profession (1 cr.)
- SWK-S 507 Diversity, Human Rights, and Social Justice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 502 Research I (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 505 Social Policy Analysis and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 508 Generalist Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 509 SWK Practice: Organizations, Communities and Societies (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 555 Practicum I (3 cr.)
Concentration Courses #
Students with a BSW, advanced standing, start in the concentration level of courses. All courses are required for all students.
- SWK-S 517 Assessment in Mental Health and Addictions (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 518 Clinical Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 519 Community and Global Theory and Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 661 Executive Leadership Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 618 Social Policy and Services (SPA) (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 623 Practice Evaluation (3 cr.)
- SWK-S 651 Practicum II (4 cr.)
- SWK-S 652 Practicum III (4 – 5 cr.)
Focus Area Courses #
Required 15 credit hours of social work electives.
Online program elective offerings:
- SWK-D 676 Military Social Work: Practice Principles for Working w/Military Personnel, Veterans, and Their Families (3 cr.)
- SWK-D 677 Foundations of e-Social Work Practice (3 cr.)
- SWK-D 678 Telebehavioral Health Social Work Practice with Individuals (3 cr.)
- SWK-D 679 e-Social Work Practice with Groups (3 cr.)
- SWK-D 685 Mental Health and Addictions Practice: Individuals and Families (3 cr.)
- SWK-D 686 Social Work Practice: Addictions (3 cr.)