Travel Fellowship Application #
Travel fellowships of up to $1,000 per student are available to assist full-time graduate students enrolled in the PhD Program at IUSSW with their travel expenses to a conference. Travel fellowships of up to $2,000 may be awarded for travel to conferences outside of the U.S. for students who are presenting a scholarly paper/poster.
Students may apply for travel funds for presenting a paper/poster or for attending a scholarly conference in the USA. Depending on the availability of funds, priority may be given to students who are presenting. Generally, fellowships will be limited to one per student per year. However, if funds allow, students may request a second fellowship per year. University Fellowship recipients should use their travel funding from the Graduate Office before applying for these funds.
HIGHEST PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO STUDENTS WHO ARE:
- Listed as the first author on an oral or poster presentation
- Presenting refereed or invited papers/posters
- Presenting at a national conference
- In good standing in the PhD program
Steps for approval #
If your Travel Fellowship application is approved, you will receive an approval email message.
- Once you receive approval, you can use Egencia on One.IU.edu to book a hotel or flight. Keep in mind your trip limit when making reservations, and do not go over. You will use your student ID number for this. If it asks for the department it is IN-SOCW.
- If you choose you can pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement afterward.
- Keep track of your receipts for the hotel, airfare, baggage fees, registration and ground transportation. You do not need to turn in receipts for meals as the University uses a per diem allowance.
- To request per diem, you must have a hotel receipt showing the dates you stayed at the hotel. If you are sharing a room with another student you will need that receipt to ask for per diem. You will not be able to receive reimbursement for a hotel room if you do not have a receipt with your name on it. In other words, if another student books the room, but you split the cost, you will not be reimbursed unless you have your own bill.
- After the trip use Chrome River in One.IU.edu to do your reimbursement. If you used Egencia you should have receipts in your “e-wallet” for these items. You will need to add them to your reimbursement, but you will not be reimbursed for them, as you did not pay out of pocket for them.