Graduation is a very exciting time for all students. It is a very special accomplishment, and we want to ensure that students who have met their degree requirements walk across the stage.
Please review the following before completing your graduation intent form:
- IUSSW at Bloomington awards BSW and MSW degrees in May, Summer, and December.
- There are specific dates by which your transcript must reflect completed IU and transfer coursework for your degree to be awarded by these months. Please check with the social work advisor if you are concerned about whether your coursework (particularly transfer coursework) will be on your transcript in time to meet the deadline to award your degree for a particular month.
- All students planning to graduate must submit a graduation application by the following deadlines (the Graduation Application link is at the bottom of this page). It is the responsibility of the student to review their Academic Advising Report to determine that all requirements are met. Failure to meet the graduation application deadline will prevent your name from being printed in the Commencement and School Programs.
- December graduates: apply by September 1
- May and Summer graduates: apply by December 1
- The application asks for your “Anticipated Graduation Date”. Choose the term your BSW requirements will be finished—NOT when you plan to “walk”. All seniors, including Summer and December graduates, may walk in the May ceremony.
Getting Your Diploma #
- The name on the student’s official university record will be printed on the diploma. Please check One.IU to verify your PRIMARY name. Please visit Student Central for information on changes to your diploma.
- All graduates in attendance at May or December IU Commencement receive red IU diploma covers during the ceremony. Your diploma will be mailed to your STUDENT HOME ADDRESS (as specified in One.iu.edu) after final grades and completion of degree requirements have been verified—two to three months after graduation. Final transcripts are the official record of the degree. They, and duplicate diplomas, can be ordered from the Office of the Registrar.
Commencement and IUSSW Recognition Events #
- Make sure to order your cap and gown, review times/places you need to be on graduation day, and assist loved ones who are visiting with accommodations.
- IUSSW at Bloomington hosts recognition events in May to honor May, Summer, and December graduates. These events, which take place the same weekend as the Indiana University Commencement Ceremonies, offer an opportunity for students to cross the stage as their name is being read. All graduating students will receive information about the recognition events via their official IU email. You are strongly encouraged to wear your cap and gown to the school ceremony.
- You can visit the IUB Commencement website for more information.